Internship Program Focuses on the Big Picture

Pittsburgh, PA—As an integral part of a company’s recruitment plan, a well-rounded internship program that takes a “big picture” approach may be the key to molding future employees. At GAI Consultants, Inc. (GAI), interns are exposed to as many different facets of the company’s business as possible—electrical engineering interns may be delineating wetlands, while environmental engineering interns partner with civil engineering groups. The idea behind this holistic approach is to teach interns about how the entire company runs, so they are better equipped to join the workforce as young professionals when they graduate.

Highlights/Key Facts

  • Each year, a $5,000 scholarship and paid internship is awarded to two qualified engineering and environmental sciences students selected from the Pittsburgh area through the GAI Engineering & Environmental Sciences Scholarship Program.
  • GAI’s interns spend 75% of their time with working with groups in their field of study, and the remaining 25% on activities unrelated to their studies.
  • Upon attaining their degree, interns are considered for full-time employment at any of GAI’s 25 offices across the United States.
  • GAI’s scholarship program has fostered four full-time employees to date.
  • GAI’s 2014 scholarship recipients are William Parisi, a senior at Shippensburg University majoring in Geo-Environmental Studies with a GIS Letter of Completion; and Andrew Czopek, a senior at Point Park University pursuing his Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering Technology.
  • GAI will be accepting applications for its seventh annual Scholarship Program in the fall of 2014.
  • Read more about GAI’s approach to internships on the firm’s company blog.

“Paid or not, internships help up-and-coming professionals gain necessary exposure to the day-to-day aspects of their future careers. Ensuring that internship programs are a two-way street helps drive hiring forward.”

Christopher Branson, PHR, Senior Staffing Specialist, GAI Consultants

“I learned a lot about the big picture and overall project lifecycle, down to the details that each department brings to the table.”

Andrew Czopek, Point Park University Student & GAI Intern

Media Contact

Brittney LeTourneau
Communications Coordinator
321.319.3035

Leah Tuscan
Senior Director, Communications
321.319.3025

Share this article:
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0